The Importance of Mental Health in Children
posted: Jun. 01, 2023.
If your child is experiencing frequent sadness, your child could have depression. If your child feels anxious when experiencing new things, your child could have anxiety. These are just two mental health challenges children face. Sadly, the mental health of children is often overlooked or a child is “just being moody” but your child could need help. The help can come from your pediatrician.
What You Need To Know About Children’s Mental Health
Mental health problems are just as common in children as in adults, but the issues frequently go unrecognized. Children deal with stressful events too, just like adults. Unfortunately, children don’t have the life experience or coping skills that adults do.
These are just some of the life changes children go through that can cause difficulties with mental health:
- Moving to a new location
- Changing to a new school
- Losing friends and support
- Death of a close family member
You need to look out for signs and symptoms of mental health issues. Mental health services can help if your child is:
- Having difficulty in school
- Showing anxious behavior about going to school
- Demonstrating anxiety about joining in social activities
- Complaining of frequent aches and pains
- Showing fits of temper or rage
- Having frequent nightmares
- Having thoughts about self-harm or suicide
A pediatrician doesn’t just help with children’s physical health. Your pediatrician can help with mental health issues too. Treatment begins with a thorough mental health screening to identify mental health issues. Your pediatrician can identify and help treat:
- Fear and anxiety disorders
- Sleeping and eating disorders
- Obsessive-compulsive disorder
- Manic depression and clinical depression
These are just a few of the mental health treatment options your pediatrician may recommend:
- Medications to manage anxiety, depression, and other mental health conditions
- Counseling about coping mechanisms to deal with stressful events
- Relaxation techniques to help manage stress and anxiety
- Dietary and lifestyle counseling to help develop healthy habits
Want to Know More?
To find out more about the importance of children’s mental health and how your pediatrician can help, call your pediatrician today.